- TripAdvisor has released its list of the top 25 destinations in Europe for 2019.
- The list was released as part of the site’s annual Travellers Choice Awards.
- To create the list, TripAdvisor analysed thousands of online reviews and focused on locations that consistently delivered great results to travellers.
- The 25 destinations are located within countries such as Poland, the Netherlands, and Hungary.
- The top three travel destinations in Europe this year are located in France, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
According to TripAdvisor, locations within France and the United Kingdom are among the top 25 destinations in Europe for 2019.
The travel site created the list as part of its Travellers’ Choice Awards, which annually honours the world’s top travel destinations, standout restaurants, and best hotels.
This year’s winners were chosen after the site analysed thousands of online reviews, and handpicked the destinations that travellers were most consistently pleased with. From Portugal to Russia, here are this year’s winners.
25. Krakow, Poland is described by TripAdvisor as one of the country’s “most culturally and politically significant cities.”
While in Krakow, visitors can indulge in unique shops and restaurants at Krakow’s Rynek Glowny Central Square, or learn about the city’s history at the Wawel Cathedral, where many Polish kings are buried.
24. You can see everything from waterfalls to ancient ruins in Manavgat, Turkey.
The town is located along Turkey’s Mediterranean coast, and is home to the Manavgat River, which flows into the Manavgat Waterfall.
23. Vienna, Austria, is the ultimate destination to have a cup of coffee.
22. Buildings in St. Petersburg, Russia, are unlike those in any other city.
The Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood stands out for its uniquely-shaped domes and a plethora of mosaics. Similarly, TripAdvisor recommends visiting the Winter Palace and Kazan Cathedral to see the city’s stunning architecture.
21. In Edinburgh, Scotland, festivals take place all year round.
The Scottish city hosts festivals to celebrate everything from art to science. The Edinburgh Fringe Festival, for example, is said to be the largest performing arts festival in the world, while the Edinburgh International Book Festival celebrates the literary world.
20. The city of Berlin, Germany, offers rich history, fashion, and architecture.
Of course, the Berlin Wall memorial is one of the most popular destinations to learn about the city’s history. But to learn about local architecture and fashion, travellers should consider stopping by the Deutsches Historisches Museum and Helmut Newton Foundation.
19. You can experience rich history while visiting the island of Malta.
The island sits inside the Maltese archipelago and is the largest of the bunch. Many buildings within Malta date back to the 16th century, according to TripAdvisor, and are surrounded by the ruins of ancient temples.
Surrounding the bygone city are crystal-clear waters, which are perfect for sailing.
18. The Madeira Islands is an autonomous region of Portugal that’s comprised of four islands.
The eponymous Madeira island is the largest within the archipelago and is home to bustling cities like Funchal. Travellers can also go on whale-watching cruises, and climb Pico Ruivo, the island’s highest peak.
17. Budapest, Hungary is the perfect place to visit a spa.
There is a surplus of places to relax within Budapest, like the fan-favourite Szechenyi Bath and luxurious Gellert Spa. Many of Budapest’s locations also date back to the 16th century, providing a peak into Hungary’s past while you indulge in wellness treatments.
16. If you’re looking for a destination where you can de-stress, Corsica, France, might be the place.
15. Venice, Italy is a dream travel destination for many people.
14. Travellers to the Netherlands will want to stop in Amsterdam.
The city is described by TripAdvisor as “one of Europe’s most picturesque capitals.” Colourful buildings line Amsterdam’s streets, and look stunning whether you’re travelling by bike or on foot.
13. Travellers seeking a luxurious beach resort should visit the Greek Dodecanese island of Rhodes.
12. TripAdvisor describes Florence, Italy, as “an art historian’s dream.”
11. Out of all the Cyclades islands in Greece, Santorini is one of the most beautiful.
Many travellers are familiar with the island’s white buildings and jagged cliffs, and for good reason. While visiting the picturesque destination, travellers can relax on the island’s many beaches or sample wine at one of the region’s vineyards.
10. Another island to make TripAdvisor’s list is Tenerife in Spain.
9. Travellers of the Balearic Islands in Spain will want to check out Majorca.
You can find relaxing beach resorts within the limestone mountains of Majorca, making it the perfect island getaway.
8. Museum fanatics will love the colourful city of Lisbon, Portugal.
7. Historic sites fill the city of Prague, Czech Republic.
6. Istanbul, Turkey is one of the best places in Europe to go shopping.
5. It’s no surprise that Barcelona, Spain, made it to the top of TripAdvisor’s list.
4. Crete is the largest island in Greece.
According to TripAdvisor, Crete is a “Mediterranean jewel” known for its “archaeological and mythological history.” Elafonissi Beach is said to be one of the best places to relax, while the island’s Botanical Park & Gardens is a great place to view nature.
3. Rome, Italy comes in third place as result of its historic sites and delicious cuisine.
2. A list of the top travel destinations in Europe wouldn’t be complete without Paris, France.
1. At the top of TripAdvisor’s list is London, England.
Between Buckingham Palace and Abbey Road, there are tons of destinations in London that hold historical and cultural significance. There are also ample places to shop and dine in places like Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus.
- Read more:
- 49 mesmerising photos of the most colourful places on Earth
- 52 photos that show what Disney parks look like around the world
- The best places in the US to get 10 types of European food
- RANKED: The 12 cheapest holiday destinations in Europe right now
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.