Authorities who were responding to earlier reports of an active shooter situation at Travis Air Force Base in Northern California are now saying that no shooter was found and the lockdown has been lifted.
Rep. John Garamendi of California said that a mistaken report of a shooting led to the heightened state of the incident, according to the Associated Press.
A simulated training exercise was scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday when “someone took that to be an active shooter,” Garamendi said.
“The public is being asked to stay away from the base to ensure emergency responders can respond accordingly,” read a statement on the base’s Facebook page earlier in the afternoon.
The base also went under lockdown with loudspeakers emphasising that the incident was not a drill.
“Shelter in place. Lock doors/windows. Await further info,” a tweet from the base’s official account said.
The base is located 45 miles northeast of San Francisco and has a population of over 26,000 people.
NOW WATCH: WATCH: President Trump responds to a shooting at a congressional baseball practice in Virginia
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.