- Eden Hazard was directly involved in three goals during Chelsea FC’s dominant UEFA Europa League final win over Arsenal on Wednesday.
- In a post-match interview, he then told the world it may well have been his last game in a Chelsea jersey.
- This is because he is reportedly on the cusp of transferring to La Liga powerhouse Real Madrid.
- The deal will be worth approximately $US132 million.
- Visit Business Insider’s home page for more stories.
Eden Hazard scored two goals and created another in a dominant Europa League final win over Arsenal, but said after the game it will likely be his last as a Chelsea FC player.
Hazard has long been linked with a high-profile move to Real Madrid.
In 2017, he said he’d consider a move to the Santiago Bernabeu team, appeared to issue a come-and-get-me-plea after excelling with Belgium at the 2018 FIFA World Cup last summer, and has once again used a significant platform to let the world know he is willing to leave West London.
Against Arsenal, at the Olympic Stadium in Baku, Hazard produced five dribbles, returned an 87% passing accuracy, tallied five goalscoring opportunities for his teammates, and scored two goals from three shots. He was, by far, the best player on the pitch.
But after the game he confirmed it was “goodbye.”
“I think it’s a goodbye, but in football you never know,”he told BT Sport. “My dream was to play in the Premier League, I did this for seven years for one of the biggest clubs in the world. So now maybe it’s time for a new challenge.”
The new challenge Hazard may be speaking of, is a transfer to Real, as the Spanish tabloid publication AS recently reported that the player would be unveiled as a Madridista next week.
Earlier in the month, Goal.com reported that the transfer fee would be approximately $US132 million.
Madrid has also been linked with moves for Paris Saint-Germain pair Kylian Mbappe and Neymar, as it is desperate to return to the highest echelons of European soccer.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.