Former United manager Louis van Gaal ratified the sale of central defender Keane for £2 million in 2015.
Since then, the 24-year-old has developed into one of the most promising English players in the Premier League.
He made his debut for the national team when he played against Germany in a friendly in March.
The Daily Mail reported that current United boss Jose Mourinho is eager to sign Keane as part of an aggressive recruitment drive. Mourinho is also reportedly keen on Atletico Madrid forward Antoine Griezmann and Everton striker Romelu Lukaku.
United’s costly transfer policy
Keane won’t come cheap, however. Burnley will likely agree to a £25 million deal, £23 million more than the fee it paid United two years ago for the player.
United, though, stands to profit from a 25% sell-on clause inserted into Keane’s contract at the time he joined Burnley, meaning it will recoup £6.25 million. This may reduce the transfer cost to £18.75 million.
The Sun reported that Keane’s current salary of £25,000 a week will be increased to £100,000 as part of a four-year deal. This equates to £20.8 million in wages, which in addition to the £18.75 million transfer fee, puts Keane’s total transfer cost at just under £40 million.
It is reminiscent Paul Pogba deal in 2016.
Sir Alex Ferguson sold Pogba to Juventus for a cut-price £800,000 fee in 2012 but the Frenchman developed into one of the top midfielders in Europe. United agreed to a world record bid of £89.3 million, simply to buy its youth player back last year.
More from Alan Dawson:
- Europa League title is worth £60.5 million to Man United and its players
- This 63-year-old ex-footballer, who played with Pele and Beckenbauer, now makes a living as an Uber driver
- UFC president Dana White says he and Conor McGregor have agreed on a deal to allow fight with Floyd Mayweather
- Meet Mino Raiola, the football agent who could earn £41 million from Paul Pogba’s record Manchester United transfer
- Conor McGregor expected to finalise his terms for a super fight with Floyd Mayweather this weekend
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.