- Using data from the US Census Bureau, we found the town in every state with the lowest median age.
- Many of the towns are college towns and places with a higher-than-average share of households with children.
Using the ACS estimates from 2013 to 2017 for places with at least a 1,000-person population, excluding college campuses and military bases, Business Insider made the above map showing the town in each state with the lowest median age.
Many of the towns with low median ages are college towns, like West Lafayette, Indiana, home of Purdue University. Others, like Kiryas Joel, New York, are places with higher-than-average shares of households with children.
Here’s a table showing each of the towns, along with their median age in years:
- Read more about demographics and economics in the US:
- The minimum wage is set to increase in 21 states and DC in 2019 – here’s what it will be in every state
- The most and least expensive places to live in America
- The most disproportionately high-paying job in every state
- Here’s how many people in each state were born outside the US
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.