- Tom Brady sought out Patrick Mahomes in private after leading the New England Patriots over the Kansas City Chiefs.
- The meeting appeared to be a sign of respect from the 41-year-old legend to the 23-year-old rising star.
- Brady has ruled the AFC for two decades, and there’s a chance Mahomes’ reign could be coming after the two quarterbacks dueled on Sunday.
Tom Brady made a classy gesture to Patrick Mahomes after leading the New England Patriots over the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship game.
According to ESPN’s Jeff Darlington, after the game, Brady went up to a security guard outside of the Chiefs’ locker room and asked to see Mahomes. The two reportedly met in private, as the 41-year-old legend praised the up-and-coming star.
Tom Brady just quietly approached a security guard waiting outside the Chiefs’ locker room — and asked if he could see Patrick Mahomes. Brady was escorted into a room where he spoke briefly with him. A very clear display of respect from one incredible quarterback to another.
— Jeff Darlington (@JeffDarlington) January 21, 2019
Mahomes had the best season of any quarterback in the NFL, and certainly impressed Brady on Sunday. After struggling in the first half, Mahomes helped the Chiefs score 31 points, 24 of them in the fourth quarter, as he went toe-to-with Brady and the Patriots. Mahomes even made the difficult look easy, getting the Chiefs into field goal range at the end of the fourth quarter with just 39 seconds to play to tie up the game. This, after Brady led the Patriots down the field for what looked like the game-winning touchdown.
It’s tough to top the “GOAT,” though. Brady threw 2 interceptions to just 1 touchdown, but when the game counted, he was sharp as ever, even converting on several 3rd-and-long scenarios in overtime to lead the game-winning drive.
Brady and the Patriots are going back to the Super Bowl, but Mahomes’ time to rule the AFC, much like Brady, may just be starting.
- Read more:
- The NFL’s overtime rules once again prevented the most exciting scenario in a classic title game
- Tom Brady reportedly walked into a room while preparing to play the Chiefs and told Patriots teammates that he’s ‘the baddest motherf—– on the planet’
- Saints head coach Sean Payton called the league office minutes after losing NFC Championship over blown call
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.