- Even though Tom Brady earns $US25 million a year in wages alone with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he appears to still be using an iPhone 6 Plus.
- In an Instagram story Brady shared Saturday from inside his car, fans noticed that his vehicle was hooked up to the outdated mobile phone.
- Brady turned 43 on Monday, and he tweeted: “Thank you for the bday wishes!! Might treat myself to a new iPhone this year.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Tom Brady earns $US25 million a year in wages alone with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
But despite all that money, the 43-year-old quarterback appears to still be using an iPhone 6 Plus, which was released in 2014.
In an Instagram story Brady shared Saturday from inside his car, eagle-eyed fans noticed that Brady’s vehicle was hooked up to the outdated mobile phone, through which he was playing music.
Tom Brady really out here using an iPhone 6 Plus. pic.twitter.com/rAHHMWpCTG
— Mark Hearn (@MisterHearn) August 2, 2020
One Twitter user speculated that Brady might be using such an old mobile phone as a nod to his six Super Bowl rings, while another suggested it could be because the 2014 model was the last iPhone released with a headphone jack.
Others were quick to point out that it was strange Brady would use an old mobile phone given that he previously claimed to destroy them every eight months.
In 2015, the NFL wanted Brady’s phone as part of its investigation into whether he was involved in illegally deflating footballs during the New England Patriot’s AFC Championship Game victory over the Indianapolis Colts in 2014.
According to CBS Sports, Brady testified that he would “destroy (or give to his assistant to destroy) his mobile phone and SIM cards when he gets a new mobile phone.”
CBS Sports also reported that Brady got rid of his old mobile phone on the exact date he was set to be questioned about the tampering allegations.
Regardless of why he’s choosing to use an iPhone 6 Plus, Brady saw the funny side to the social-media frenzy.
After he turned 43 on Monday, the NFL tweeted him saying: “New beginnings in year 21. Happy 43rd birthday.”
Thank you for the bday wishes!! Might treat myself to a new iPhone this year… https://t.co/x2cvb2wJNG
— Tom Brady (@TomBrady) August 3, 2020
He replied: “Thank you for the bday wishes!! Might treat myself to a new iPhone this year.”
- Read more:
- Tom Brady ripped a huge hole in the back of his pants on national television after hitting miraculous golf shot
- ‘Am I in the wrong house?!’: Tom Brady accidentally walked into a random house in Tampa, thinking it belonged to the Bucs’ offensive coach
- A 25-year-old YouTuber paid $US800,000 at a charity auction to have dinner with Tom Brady
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.