- Four-time US Masters champion Tiger Woods is one of the betting favourites to win a fifth title this week.
- If the veteran American succeeds then it would seal the “greatest comeback in sports,” according to a former world number one golfer.
- Nick Faldo says this is because Woods will have overcome “crashing and burning” in his private life.
- The US Masters takes place in Augusta, Georgia, on Thursday and ends on Sunday.
If Tiger Woods triumphs at the 2018 US Masters in Augusta then it would complete “the greatest comeback in sport,” according to former world champion Nick Faldo.
Woods won 14 major championships between 1997 and 2008 and was ranked as the world’s number one golfer for a total of 13 years and one month – more than any other player in golf history.
But Woods has endured multiple low points since his last major victory ten years ago. He was embroiled in an infidelity scandal in 2009, got divorced from his wife Elin Nordegren in 2010, and was arrested for a DUI (driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol) in 2017 – later toxicology reports indicated he “had five different drugs in his system” at the time of the arrest.
Woods has also suffered from back and leg injuries that were so severe they threatened his ability to walk, let alone compete in high-level sports. But, after undergoing spinal fusion last year, Woods is now back doing what he does best – playing golf.
Speaking to BBC Sport, Faldo marvelled at the journey Woods has been on. “Ten years on from a major, off course he crashes and burns doing things you’re not meant to be doing, [and he’s had] four operations – it’s amazing.”
If Woods wins the 2018 US Masters this week, Faldo says it would be “the greatest comeback in sport.”
And, considering his history, who are we to argue?
More Masters coverage:
- 34 things that make the Masters one of the quirkiest events in sports
- The Masters has insanely strict rules – here are the things they can throw you out for doing
- How to qualify for the Masters, the world’s most prestigious golf tournament
- How to get tickets to the Masters, one of the most exclusive sporting events in the world
- How to watch the Masters tournament online for free
- Food and beer at the Masters is the biggest bargain in sports
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.