Photo: Patrick McDermott/Getty Images
After winning the AT&T National Sunday Tiger Woods has surpassed the $99 million PGA career earnings threshold.With Tiger approaching the $100 million career earnings mark ESPN put into perspective how far Tiger and the PGA Tour have come since he became pro in 1996:
- Prior to Tiger becoming pro, Greg Norman was the all-time leader in career earnings at a measly $9.6 million
- Tiger has made at least $9.6 million in a single year FOUR times (2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009)
- Tiger was the first player ever to earn more than $2 million in a single season in 1997. In 2009 an astounding 38 players made that much money in one year
- The 125th-ranked PGA money maker in 1995 brought in about $150,000. In 2011, the 125th ranked money maker made ~$670,000
- All-time great Jack Nicklaus made a total of $5.7 million on the PGA Tour during his career. It’s only July and a not-so-dominant Tiger has already taken $4.2 million this year
We give Tiger a ton of attention for making golf a mainstream sport and earning enormous amounts of money (off the course as well) along the way.
And rightfully so, but it’s also worth mentioning that the rest of the tour owes him one GIANT thank you.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.