- Thor was originally supposed to be a more serious character in “Avengers: Infinity War.”
- Actor Chris Hemsworth voiced concerns after “Thor: Ragnarok” portrayed the character’s funnier side.
- “Infinity War” writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely told Vulture that they turned to “Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi for input.
- They then made rewrites to Thor’s character and his storyline in “Infinity War.”
Thor could have been a much different character in “Avengers: Infinity War” if not for “Thor: Ragnarok.”
In an interview with Vulture, the “Infinity War” writers – Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely – revealed that Thor was originally supposed to be a more serious counter to the funny Guardians of the Galaxy.
But Thor actor Chris Hemsworth realised how humorous the character had become in last year’s “Thor: Ragnarok,” which prompted rewrites.
“We changed a few scenes early on because Hemsworth had just done ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ and was concerned,” McFeely told Vulture. “He was like, ‘Listen, guys, I’ve been in Australia and we’re doing crazy stuff!'”
“Ragnarok” was much funnier than previous “Thor” movies, and director Taika Waititi created an almost slapstick sci-fi adventure that took full advantage of Hemsworth’s comedic talents. Markus and McFeely turned to Waititi for input when rewriting Thor in “Infinity War.”
According to Vulture, they “flew Waititi out for two days to pick his brain, then revamped Thor and his ‘Infinity War’ arc” to reflect the more comical side of the character audiences saw in “Ragnarok.”
“Avengers: Infinity War” is currently in theatres.
More on “Avengers: Infinity War”:
- What you need to know about Captain Marvel, who will play a big role in the next ‘Avengers’ movie
- The biggest ‘Infinity War’ questions ‘Avengers 4’ must answer
- All the ‘Infinity War’ characters whose fates are up in the air
- Thanks to Thanos, ‘Infinity War’ is Marvel’s ‘Empire Strikes Back’
- Deadpool gets rejected by the Avengers in funny letter
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.