Silje Frøysaa from Kristiansand, Norway was working in her garden last year when she noticed an exceptionally large weed making its way into her neatly hoed rows.
Going to work on the plant with one of her garden tools, she pulled it out of her garden, threw it into the woods and didn’t think much about it.
Within two days she had second degree burns on both of her arms. She went to a dermatologist who told her the plant was Hogweed and its sap destroys all UV protection qualities in the skin which causes it to burn easily in the sun.
She now has dark scars and is at an elevated risk of acquiring skin cancer. Business Insider reported on the plant’s New York invasion Tuesday, listing all the symptoms of contact. Silje saw the story, emailed the picture and described her encounter.
A Norwegian television station interviewed her and reported on the plant’s invasion of their country.
SEE ALSO: Shocking facts about New York >
Photo: Silje Frøysaa
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.