- Applebee’s Neighbourhood Grill and Bar faced a tough few years while struggling to attract millennial customers.
- The restaurant chain made a comeback in 2018, in part thanks to the Dollarita.
- Here are 12 things to know about Applebee’s.
Although we voted it a personal favourite, Applebee’s has faced a tough few years. But after struggling to attract millennials and closing more than 150 locations between 2017 and 2018, the quick-service restaurant chain made an unexpected comeback in 2018.
While you’re sipping on a dollar margarita or chowing down on mozzarella sticks, enjoy these 12 facts about one of the world’s favourite restaurant chains.
1. The founders picked the name out of a phone book
Founders Bill and T.J. Palmer looked for inspiration in a phone book and fell in love with the name “Appleby.” After finding there was already a copyright on the name, they changed it to “Applebee’s.”
2. The Palmers considered 2 other names for the restaurant
They considered “Cinnamon’s” and “Pepper’s” before settling on “Applebee’s.”
3. The first Applebee’s opened in Atlanta
The Palmers opened the first Applebee’s in Atlanta in 1980.
4. Applebee’s originally had a drug-store theme
The restaurant’s full name when it debuted was “T.J. Applebee’s Rx for Edibles & Elixirs.”
5. By 1989, Applebee’s had 100 locations
Applebee’s spread across the country and opened 100 locations before the end of the decade. By 1998, they had 1,000 restaurants.
6. The biggest Applebee’s is 3 stories tall
The world’s largest Applebee’s sits just north of Times Square in New York City. It may be a whopping 3 stories high, but don’t fret – you can get the same great deals as you would at a normal-sized ‘Bee’s.
7. The Dollarita may have saved the restaurant from turmoil
When all else failed, cheap cocktails saved the day. The Dollarita, Applebee’s beloved $US1 margaritas, was introduced in October 2017 and kicked off a “cheap drinks revolution” that helped make the restaurant popular again.
8. Applebee’s cocktails are just as unique as they are inexpensive
9. Applebee’s has almost 2,000 locations worldwide
Applebee’s is the largest casual-dining chain, with almost 2,000 locations around the world. You can find your favourite late-night appetizer deals in places such as Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Guam, and Indonesia.
10. Applebee’s hosted a New Year’s Eve party with $US375 tickets
In 2013, Applebee’s hosted a glamorous New Year’s Eve party in New York that cost $US375 per adult. Kids tickets cost a mere $US250. The upscale event featured an open bar, a DJ, and party favours.
11. IHOP and Applebee’s are sibling restaurants
Applebee’s and IHOP are both owned by Dine Brands Global.
12. Wanda Sykes once voiced the Applebee’s mascot
Actress and comedian Wanda Sykes once voiced the Applebee’s mascot, a talking Red Delicious apple that urged people to get together over dinner.
Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
- Read more:
- 11 of the best happy hour deals at chain restaurants
- Applebee’s is making a comeback by ditching food that people ‘can’t pronounce’
- 16 restaurant chains you once loved that you’ll likely never be able to eat at again
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.