Photo: Steve Kovach, Business Insider
Facebook is a useful tool.The social network helps you to keep up with popular events, share photos, and stay in touch with your friends and family.
But it can also be insanely confusing for the Facebook newbie.
We put together a bunch of tips and tricks that’ll help you get the most out of the largest social network on the planet.
Note: When reading this guide, if you don’t know what a word or term means check out Facebook’s Glossary.
It's simple to make sure that only your friends see your posts. When you are writing a new post there is an option next to the Post button. Click on the drop down menu and choose either Public, Friends, Only Me, or Custom.
Controlling who sees your photos is similar. From your Timeline, head to the photos page. Next, select a photo or album. And finally, choose the level of privacy
Bookmark your Close Friends page instead of your normal News Feed so your real friends greet you when you visit Facebook.
Any post from either a person or place can be silenced from the News Feed.
First, click the drop down arrow and hide the story from your news feed.
You can sort your Facebook friends by using the Facebook Lists feature. This way you can easily keep tabs on what your friends, coworkers, and family members are doing.
The Facebook Links page is like a news feed of all of the links your friends and 'liked' pages have posted recently.
You can download apps like Foodspotting, Pose, and Pinterest for Timeline that are seamlessly integrated into your page and organise some of the most popular forms of sharing you are doing already.
Review everything you've ever done on Facebook with Activity Log, which sits on the right side of your Timeline.
1. Start by heading to Privacy Settings.
2. Choose 'Edit Settings' in the Timeline and Tagging section.
3. Click on the Review posts friends tag you in section.
4. Enable it and you're done.
To edit a comment:
- Hover over the comment and click the pencil icon
- Click Edit...
- Edit your comment
- Press enter or return to post your updated comment, or the esc to cancel
You can prevent tagged posts from automatically displaying on your timeline. To do this click the down arrow in your Admin Panel > Privacy Panel > How Tags Work > Edit Settings > choose your settings.
Facebook messages are an easy way to stay on top of your emails, chats, and texts. People using traditional email can also message you at your Facebook email address and the messages will go to your messages list. To claim your email go to Messages > claim your Facebook email.
You can activate Facebook text messaging so that you and your friends can message each other even when you are not at your computers. To activate text messages, go to Account Settings > Mobile > Activate Text Messaging
1. Head to Security settings.
2. After 'Security', navigate to the 'Secure Browsing' section and click edit.
3. Make sure the 'Browse Facebook on a secure network when possible is checked', save your changes and you're good to go. Now your Facebook is much safer.
Get a notification whenever your Facebook account is logged into. If it's not you, your account is probably being hacked.
1. Start by clicking account settings.
2. Next select Security.
3. You'll see an option for Login Notifications, select 'Edit' next to that.
4. Check the Email or Mobile boxes for whichever notifications you would like.
If you're posting a link, you can change the bolded title that Facebook automatically generates. Simply click on the headline to edit it.
Check your Friendship Page between you and a friend. Friendship pages are a visual timeline of the posts, photos you two have taken together, things you both like, and events you both have attended. To see your friends' friendship page go to your friend's Timeline > click the down arrow next to the Message button on their page > See Friendship.
1. Head to account settings.
2. From the bottom of the account settings page you'll see a link that says 'Download A Copy Of Your Facebook Data.' Click it.
3. Wait for an email from Facebook, and they will send you a link where you can download your data.