Amy Molloy, the ex-editor of the now-folded fashion magazine Grazia Australia has penned a tell-all article for The Daily Mail, in which she tells readers she wishes she could be a little less awesome.
We’ve pulled out the ten best quotes, but you can read the full piece here. Warning: cringe alert …
1. “It’s hard being a lonely and joyless high-achiever. I wish I could be mediocre.”
2. “As a child, I remember thriving on feeling superior to my classmates.”
3. “I got my first job as soon as I graduated, working at a national newspaper, and was repeatedly promoted until I was the editor of a leading fashion magazine by the time I turned 28.
“I also set myself the goal of having a book published by 30 and beat my target, signing a publishing deal at 23 for a sum large enough to get me on the property ladder.
4. “Being successful is torturous. It’s isolating — you lose weekends, holidays and (if you’re not careful) your social life.”
5. “Some people can struggle to be around the super-successful. They think I’m looking down on them and maybe sometimes, subconsciously, I am.”
6. “Dinner with my scatty, jobless friend is often the only night out on my calendar.”
7. “Maybe I would have formed allegiances in the workplace if I hadn’t been fast-tracked up the career ladder so quickly.”
8. “I earn more money than I need. In theory, I could cut down on my workload and still pay my mortgage.”
9. “It’s rare that I have genuine fun and the closest I get to relaxing is reading a magazine for research.”
10. “Now that I’m a freelance writer, my ambitions have no boundaries.”
Here the link to the full article. Read it and bask in your failures.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.