What the heck happened?
- Tim Lincecum only got one (disputed) run of support, but he made it count, striking out 14 Braves in a two-hit shutout. Giants lead 1-0. [San Jose Mercury News]
- Both American League playoff games turned on called third strikes that weren’t called. The Rangers’ Michael Young turned his next pitch into a three-run homer and Lance Berkman gave the Yankees an RBI double after his second life, and the Rays and Twins fell to 0-2 after both losing their first two games at home.
- Nebraska’s Taylor Martinez inserted himself into the Heisman Trophy race with 241 rushing yards against Kansas State. (He didn’t even play the last 10 minutes of the game.) Did we mention that he’s their quarterback? And a freshman? [CBS; Omaha World Herald]
- The defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks opened the 2010 season with an overtime loss to Colorado. The Penguins lost the first game in their new arena to the Flyers. (More NHL scores here.) [Sun-Times; AP; NHL]
- The defending NBA champion Lakers lost to … FC Barcelona? It’s just an exhibition, but it’s the first time an NBA team has lost to a international squad since 2007 [EITB]
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.