- The winner of this year’s Masters will take $US1.98 million ($AU2.58 million).
- The Masters’ purse overall is $US11 million ($AU14.4 million), second only to the U.S. Open.
Winning The Masters is one of the most prestigious achievements in golf. The winner gets the iconic green jacket, cements himself in the annals of sporting history forever – and takes home quite a bit of money as well.
Last year, Sergio Garcia took home $US1.98 million for winning his first green jacket. This year’s winner will receive the same prize.
Overall, the Masters’ total purse is a whopping $US11 million, second only to the U.S. Open regarding prize money among golf majors.
Here’s what the purse for each of the four majors will be in the 2017-18 PGA Tours season, according to the PGA Tour:
U.S. Open: $US12.0 million
The Master’s: $US11.0 million
PGA Championship: $US10.5 million
British Open: $US10.3 million
And here’s what the overall winner of each major took home in individual prize money during the previous PGA Tour season:
U.S. Open: $US2.16 million (Brooks Koepka)
The Masters: $US1.98 million (Sergio Garcia)
PGA Championship: $US1.89 million (Justin Thomas)
British Open: $US1.85 million (Jordan Spieth)
Of the non-major tournaments, The Players Championship had the highest purse in 2017, at $US10.5 million.
More Masters coverage:
- How to qualify for the Masters, the world’s most prestigious golf tournament
- How to get tickets to the Masters, one of the most exclusive sporting events in the world
- How to watch the Masters tournament online for free
- Photos show what golf’s biggest stars looked like when their careers started
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.