To answer that question, we asked Web analytics startup TubeMogul to give us a list of last week’s top 100 video producers, defined as the person or entity posting clips to YouTube.
Some of the results were predictable. The YouTube video producer with the most views last week was the NBA, with 3.5 million views — understandable given that the playoffs are in full swing.
Also big was Activision’s GuitarHeroGames, (ATVI) which shows real life rock stars (from the Red Hot chilli Peppers and The Police) trying out the game’s fake equipment.
Top-10 last week:
1. NBA – 3.46 million views (basketball highlights)
2. Nogoodtv – 3.44 million (“uncensored” celebrity news)
3. Illumistream – 1.96 million (explicit sex education)
4. Ykedwin – 1.87 million (Chinese variety show)
5. YTVideoGuide – 1.8 million (guide to top YouTube clips)
6. IdolFans2008 – 1.73 million (“American Idol” performances)
7. Duowei – 1.59 million (daily news show from state Chinese television)
8. IdolsAroundTheWorld – 1.39 million (more “American Idol”)
9. GuitarHeroGames – 1.28 million (promo for Activision’s Guitar Hero)
10. NielCicierega – 1.13 million (Harry Potter puppeteer)
Go further down the list, and things get more interesting, at least to us — we’re particularly fond of the guys who re-shot the iconic Indiana Jones scene with a Lego boulder. Among the indie producers making it big there are a few commonalities: As always, stunts and attractive women work on YouTube. But so do smart people with provocative ideas on technology and politics.
25. Vlogbrothers – 579,252 views last week
33. athenewins – 422,950 views
37. Veracifier – 422,950 views
42. macattck2533 – 394,391 views
See Also: What’s A Web Video View?
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.