It just keeps getting worse for disgraced former presidential candidate John Edwards.As the criminal trial to determine whether the former senator knowingly used campaign funds to hide his mistress Rielle Hunter continues, more and more details are being revealed about their sordid affair.
Already, we’ve heard about how Edwards’ cancer-stricken wife broke down in an airport hanger after being told of the affair and how Edwards initially labelled Hunter a “crazy slut.”
And while little has been said to definitively prove Edwards’ fault in this whole scandal, it has successfully painted Edwards as a manipulative philanderer.
Here is some more of what we’ve heard:
- Cheri Young, wife of Andrew Young, the senior aide who initially claimed responsibility for Edwards’ love child, testified that Edwards told her and her husband “Nobody cares about two staffers having an affair,” while trying to convince him to take the blame. (via ABC News)
- Young also said that the stress put on her husband helped push him to drinking heavily and using Ambien. (via ABC News)
- Josh Brumberger, another aide, said that Edwards confronted him after he told two other staff members that he feared the senator was having an affair. Edwards apparently told him to come to him “like a man” and “tell me to stop f***ing her.” Brumberger said he was basically fired after that point. (via MSNBC)
- Aide Matthew Nelson testified that upon hearing about the affair, Edwards’ wife began “groping and pawing” at her husband in the car asking “Is this what you two do in the car when you are together in New York City?” (via The Atlantic)
- Bryan Huffman, friend of the elderly heiress Rachel “Bunny” Mellon, said that Mellon had a crush on Edwards. She would get “euphoric” when he met her, he said, and that “she liked how he looked, what he espoused and what good he could do for the country.” She apparently wasn’t very fond of Edwards’ wife and wouldn’t let her come to meet her. (via Daily Mail)
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.