The US Navy lost two sailors at sea that are now presumed dead after both fell overboard from their ships last week.
On June 6, Fire Controlman 2nd Class Christopher Clavin fell from the USS Normandy into the water about 80 miles off the coast of North Carolina during a training exercise. Two days later, another sailor who has not yet been identified fell from the USS Shiloh into waters roughly 180 miles east of Okinawa, Japan.
In both cases, the service immediately launched search-and-rescue efforts involving a number of ships, helicopters, fixed-wing aircraft, and Coast Guard vessels. After approximately three days, both searches were called off.
Personnel searching for Clavin covered an area spanning 6,300 square miles, while US and Japanese personnel searched 5,500 square miles for the missing Shiloh sailor.
“The decision to suspend the search was not arrived at lightly. Our thoughts are with our lost shipmate, his family, and the officers and crew of USS Shiloh,” Rear Adm. Charles Williams, commander, Carrier Strike Group 5 and Task Force 70, said in a statement. “I am thankful for the dedication and professionalism shown during this search by the U.S. Navy and our Japanese allies.”
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of our shipmate, Petty Officer Chris Clavin. He was an important part of the team and a friend to so many on board,” Capt. Derek Trinque, commanding officer of USS Normandy, said in a statement to USNI. “We are not alone in our grief. Our hearts and thoughts are also with Chris’s mother, sister and his entire family.”
NOW WATCH: Trump approved the largest weapons deal in US history — here’s what Saudi Arabia is buying
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.