Project management, process improvement, data science and analysis, financial modelling and business transformation are the most commonly requested consultancy services in Australia, according to analysis by consulting-on-demand provider Expert360.
The company, a marketplace matching one-off consulting projects with pre-screened white collar workers, analysed more than 500 project postings from Australian companies with more than $500 million in annual revenue since the start of the year to find the most commonly requested consultant skills.
“A big trend we’re seeing in these projects is growing demand for data and analysis skills,” says Bridget Loudon, CEO of Expert360.
“Businesses are still grappling with how they can best leverage their data to better improve a range of business functions, including internal processes and customer experience.
“This applies across a range of industries, but is particularly relevant in the retail/consumer goods; banking and financial services industries with access to large stores of consumer data and increasing competition from international incumbents.”
Process improvement is also a key focus for many of Australia’s biggest enterprises across the banking, healthcare, logistics and supply chain, government and the consumer goods sectors.
“Similarly, large companies are looking to bring in experienced project managers to effectively define and drive project success,” says Loudon.
“There is strong demand across big corporates for strong project management,. However, insurance, banking, mining and minerals and the healthcare sector demonstrated a particular need for project management skills.
“High quality project managers are incredibly important for enterprise businesses as they not only manage cost and timings, but encourage teamwork, ensure quality and manage integration.”
The full list of in demand skills by industry:
- Large corporations: Project management, Process Improvement, Data science and analysis, Financial modelling, Business transformation.
- Aviation: Due diligence, Data science and analysis, Customer segmentation.
- Banking: Project management, Process improvement, Business transformation.
- Mining & metals: Tendering, Project management, Procurement strategy
- Logistics & supply chain: Supply chain management, Business analytics, Process improvement
- Media: Lead generation, Marketing Strategy, Data science and analysis
- Retail: Data science and analysis, Digital transformation, IT project management
- Telco: Big data, Change management, Business analytics
- Healthcare: Data science and analysis, Process improvement, Project management
- Financial services: Due diligence, Change management, Business analytics
- Insurance: Project management, Change management, Business strategy
- Government: Big data, Digital transformation, Process improvement
- Consumer goods: Cost reduction, Process improvement, Marketing strategy
When it comes to jobs, and not consultancy work, the marketing manager wins in Australia.
Global jobs site Indeed has for the first time released analysis of its search data for Australia, uncovering the best local jobs.
The list of the best roles, curated from job postings, salary and growth opportunity statistics, is dominated by healthcare, technology and building and construction sectors.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.