Hello! Here’s what you need to know for Thursday.
1. Malaysia confirmed on Thursday that a washed-up plane part found last week on a French Indian Ocean island
belongs to missing flight MH370, providing the first direct evidence that the plane crashed in the ocean.
2. Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said on Wednesday that the country is in the “final stretch” of a deal with creditors to unlock bailout funds needed to repay €3.4 billion (£2.3 billion, $US3.7 billion) due to the European Central Bank on August 20.
3. Thursday marks 70 years since the dropping of the atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima, which was observed with a moment of silence in Hiroshima’s Peace Memorial Park.
4. China says it has stopped construction in the South China Sea, where land reclamation projections on islands in the Spratlys have raised concerns about China expanding its military reach.
5. France will fully reimburse Russia for two Mistral warships, worth €1.2 billion (£838 million, $US1.3 billion), that it failed deliver following the crisis over Ukraine.
6. The entire London Underground network is shut down on Thursday as union workers hold a 24-hour strike to demand a pay increase over the new all-night Tube service that will begin in September.
7. The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration launched a
wanted poster, tip line, and email address for information on
Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, whom federal agents believe is still in Mexico after breaking out of his prison cell last month.
8. At least 25 people are dead after a boat carrying hundreds of migrants capsized off the coast of Libya.
9. Tesla’s stock price dropped as much as 8% in after-hours trade on Wednesday after the company lowered its estimate for how many cars it plans to deliver this year, citing production problems that could arise when it ramps production of its Model X crossover this fall.
10. NASA extended a contract with Russia’s space agency for $US490 million (£313 million) to carry US astronauts to the International Space Station
And finally …
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.