Good morning from Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Here’s everything you need to know in the world of advertising today.
1. Samsung launched the Samsung Galaxy S 6 and Galaxy Edge on Sunday. Its new flagship phones have updated features, including an in-built battery the company claims charges in half the time of the iPhone 6.
2. HTC’s big MWC announcement was a partnership with video gaming company Valve. They’re working together on a virtual reality headset called Vive.
3. Arby’s made history by airing the longest TV ad ever. Watch the mesmerising 13-hour commercial (or perhaps just some of it) here.
4. In the wake of the Superfish incident, leading PC maker Lenovo has vowed to eliminate ‘adware’ and ‘bloatware’ from all future PCs. The software basically superimposed ads on web sites, and used a fake security certificate, a technique that could have been imitated by hackers to steal personal information.
5. These brothers are making $US5 million a year showing how people react to things. The Fine Brothers are huge YouTube stars.
6. Digiday deep dives into why advertising agencies are bullish on Spotify. Scale, better back-end technology, and enhanced targeting mean agencies have been pumping more ad dollars into the streaming service.
7. Adweek has interviewed AOL CEO Tim Armstrong on the company’s mobile and video plans. Armstrong says AOL will launch its blueprint to grow its mobile audience sometime in the first half of this year.
8. Comcast is in talks to buy to acquire adtech firm Visible World, The Wall Street Journal’s CMO Today reports. The company specialises in TV ad targeting.
9. A new app has launched to help brands assign their fans to help deal with customer complaints on social, Marketing Week reports. Conversocial’s app assigns a brand advocate (a member of the public who likes the brand) to offer tips and deal directly with the complaint.
10. Under Armour plans to pump $US700 million into fitness apps, The Drum reports. At Mobile World Congress it announced a partnership with HTC to launch a smartband.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.