Mobile marketing is getting more spotlight these days. Revenue from mobile advertising accounted for 30% of total ad spend in the first half of 2015, according to the IAB, and it’s on track to account for more than one-third in the second half of the year. Despite this growth, mobile ad spend still lags mobile time spend by consumers, indicating that marketers are still toeing the mobile marketing waters.
The technologies and communication mediums inherent in mobile devices offer marketers looking to reach consumers on mobile a wide assortment of options for sending the right message to the right consumer at the right time.
In a new report from BI Intelligence, we take a close look at the different mobile marketing tactics being used today, spanning legacy mobile technologies like SMS to emerging capabilities like beacon-aided location-based marketing. We also identify some of the most useful mobile marketing technologies that mobile marketers are putting to good use as parts of larger strategies.
Here are some key takeaways from the report:
- As consumers spend more time on their mobile devices, marketing campaigns are following suit. Mobile ad spend continues to lag mobile time spent, providing an opportunity for creative marketers.
- Marketers should leverage different mobile tactics depending on the size and demographics of the audience they want to reach and the type of message they want to send. With all tactics, marketers need to respect the personal nature of the mobile device and pay attention to the potential for communication overload.
- Mobile messaging — particularly SMS and email — has the broadest reach and highest adoption among mobile users. Messaging apps, relative newcomers but gaining fast in popularity, offer more innovative and engaging outreach options.
- Emerging technology, such as dynamic creative optimization, is breathing new life into mobile browser-based ad campaigns, but marketers should keep an eye on consumer adoption of mobile ad blockers.
- In-app advertising can generate high engagement rates, especially with video. Location-based apps and beacons offer additional data that can enhance targeting capabilities.
In full, the report:
- Identifies the major mobile technologies being used to reach consumers.
- Sizes up the potential reach and potential of each of these mobile technologies.
- Presents an example of a company or brand that has successfully leveraged that mobile technology to reach consumers.
- Assesses the efficacy of each approach.
- Examines the potential pitfalls and other shortcomings of each mobile technology.
Interested in getting the full report? Here are two ways to access it:
- Subscribe to an All-Access pass to BI Intelligence and gain immediate access to this report and over 100 other expertly researched reports. As an added bonus, you’ll also gain access to all future reports and daily newsletters to ensure you stay ahead of the curve and benefit personally and professionally.» Learn More Now
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store.» Purchase & Download Now
PS. Did you know…
Our BI Intelligence INSIDER Newsletters are currently read by thousands of business professionals first thing every morning. Fortune 1000 companies, startups, digital agencies, investment firms, and media conglomerates rely on these newsletters to keep atop the key trends shaping their digital landscape — whether it is mobile, digital media, e-commerce, payments, or the Internet of Things.
Our subscribers consider the INSIDER Newsletters a “daily must-read industry snapshot” and “the edge needed to succeed personally and professionally” — just to pick a few highlights from our recent customer survey.
With our full money-back guarantee, we make it easy to find out for yourself how valuable the daily insights are for your business and career. Click this link to learn all about the INSIDER Newsletters today.
EXCLUSIVE FREE REPORT:
5 Top Fintech Predictions by the BI Intelligence Research Team. Get the Report Now »
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.