Photo: Courtesy of Lionsgate
“The Hunger Games” more-than exceeded expectations when it held top spot at the box office for four consecutive weeks earlier this year.The film continues to shatter records after Lionsgate announced the it sold 3.8 million DVD and Blu-ray copies its opening weekend.
The movie, based off Suzanne Collins‘ best-selling series, also spurred the largest digital and on demand launch sale on Zune video and Xbox.
Just how big is this number?
On the first day of Avatar 2D’s release in 2010, Century Fox reported 3.2 million disc sales (2 million DVD, 1.2 million Blu-ray).
Similarly, “The Dark Knight” sold 3 million copies on day one in U.S. and Canada.
“Twilight: Breaking Dawn–Part I” currently holds the top amount of units sold for the year with $5.2 million, according to thenumbers.com, a number it will surely pass in weeks to come.
Take a look at the top selling DVDs by year for the past five years:
- 2011: “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” – 7 million units
- 2010: “Avatar” – 10.1 million units
- 2009: “Twilight” – 10.2 million units
- 2008: “The Dark Knight” – 10.9 million units
- 2007: “Pirates of the Caribbean – At World’s End” – 13.6 million units
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.