- Kangaroo collisions are costing Australian drivers more than $6 million in excess on insurance claims a year, according to research from Huddle Insurance’s ‘Roo Report’.
- The average vehicle damage costs after a kangaroo crash are estimated to be around $4,000.
- More than 7,000 drivers are involved in, and claim for, kangaroo collisions in Australia every year.
Kangaroo collisions are making more than a dent to vehicles each year, hitting Australian hip pockets ever harder.
Research conducted by YouGov on behalf ofartificial intelligence-backed insurer Huddle Insurance has found that Aussie drivers spend more than $6 million in excess on insurance claims a year.
The company’s ‘Roo Report’ ‘Roo Report’ revealed that more than 7,000 drivers are involved in, and claim for, collisions with the marsupials in Australia each year. It noted that the highest frequency of collisions occurs between July and September, with August being the worst month and the lowest frequency in February.
The report — which relies on “weighted figures” stemming from a survey of 1,054 Australian adults in April 2019 — also found that 37% of Australian drivers are very concerned about the potential cost of the damage resulting from a kangaroo collision. The average damage costs to a vehicle amount to $4,000, with 15% of vehicles involved in kangaroo collisions completely written off.
When it comes to insurance, some Aussies have a lack of understanding around what they are covered for in the result of a kangaroo crash, the survey found.
“While more than half (59%) of drivers believe that in the event of a collision with a kangaroo their comprehensive car insurance will cover the cost of the damage, only 80% of this group understand that they would be required to pay an excess,” the report said. “The other 20% believe that they would be fully covered, with no excess payable, which is not the norm in Australia.”
“While comprehensive car insurance will cover the cost of damage in most cases, the majority of insurance brands including Huddle place the driver at fault, with an excess to pay when you claim,” Jonathan Buck, joint CEO and co-founder of Huddle said in a statement.
In addition to insurance woes, the fear among Australian drivers of hitting a roo is real, with 49% “concerned” and 30% “very concerned” about knocking one while driving out of town. But the fear isn’t just for the driver’s personal safety. The report revealed that if no one is hurt in the collision, Aussie drivers’ next biggest concern is over the welfare of the roo itself.
“Almost half (48%) stating [the welfare of the kangaroo] was their biggest worry,” the report found. “This is closely followed by concern as to whether they could keep going on their journey (41%), the cost of the damage to their car (37%), whether their car insurance would cover the damage (32%) and how they would pay for the cost of repairs (19%).
Regional Australia (unsurprisingly) experiences the most kangaroo collisions claims. While Queensland accounts for more than 50% of the nation’s kangaroos, drivers are more likely to collide with one while driving out of town in New South Wales.
Both New South Wales and Victoria take the cake for the most kangaroo crash claims. The report further identified the top five places in Australia for the claims, with Queanbeyan (NSW) coming in first, followed by Roxburgh Park (VIC), Cessnock West (NSW), Doreen (VIC) and Mudgee (NSW).
The state with the least amount of kanga collision claims? Tasmania.
Perhaps things could be worse.
In March, a paraglider was reportedly attacked by a kangaroo.
It is unclear whether the paraglider was sufficiently insured.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.