Unlike Q3 last year, in which gold and Apple were the “it” stocks, so to speak, the latest hedge fund filings tell a different story.
While there were small increases in gold holdings here and there, most kept their gold and mining bets neutral. Tech didn’t appear to be a big story either.
The trends that jumped out to us were huge new bets in health care, energy and financials.
And, some new love for General Motors.
- David Tepper's Appaloosa increased stake (~$573 million, added 67 million shares to take stake to ~117 million shares)
- Eric Mindich's Eton Park increased stake (~$395 million, added 20,000,000 shares to take stake to 80,500,000 shares)
- Lone Pine opened a new stake ( ~$686,500,000, ~145,000,000 shares)
- Paul Tudor Jones opened a new stake ( ~$18.7 million, ~4,000,000 million shares)
- Louis Bacon's Moore Capital opened a stake (~$194 million, ~40,000,000 shares)
- Eric Mindich's Eton Park opened stake in Longtop Financial. Increased stakes in Citi, JP Morgan.
- David Tepper's Appaloosa opened stakes in JPMorgan and Flagstar Bancorp. Increased stakes in Citi; BoFA; Wells Fargo
- John Paulson's Paulson & Co. increased stakes in Wells Fargo, Suntrust and Capital One.
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway increased its stake in Wells Fargo.
- Steve Cohen's SAC increased its stakes in Goldman Sachs, Berkshire Hathaway.
- Pierre Henri-Flamand increased his stake in Sallie Mae.
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway completely liquidated its BofA stake.
- John Paulson's Paulson & Co. made a significant decrease in its stake to ~$2 billion (~123,000,000 shares)
- Nelson Peltz's Trian partners liquidated its BofA stake.
- John Paulson's Paulson & Co. opened stakes in Medtronic, Baxter and King Pharmaceuticals. He increased his stake in Genzyme.
- Steve Cohen's SAC Capital increased stakes in Genzyme, Alcon and Humane Genome Sciences.
- Eric Mindich's Eton Park opened a new stake in King Pharmaceuticals, Emergency Medical Services and Mindray Medical. He increased stakes in Genzyme.
- Dan Loeb bought more Alcon.
- Dan Loeb opened stakes in Lyondellbasell, Massey and Williams.
- John Paulson opened new stakes in Transocean and Anadarko.
- Steve Cohen's SAC Capital increased its stake in BP.
- Eric Mindich opened stakes in YPF Sociedad Anonima, Energy XXI, National Fuel Gas and El Paso.
- David Einhorn bought more BP.
- Bill Ackman's Pershing Square opened a new GM stake worth ~ $261 million (~7,000,000 shares)
- David Tepper's Appaloosa opened a new stake in GM worth ~$50 million (~1,381,000 shares)
- George Soros increased his stakes in SPDR Gold Trust, Platinum Group, Kinross and PanAmerican Silver
- Eric Mindich opened stakes in Goldcorp, Platinum Group.
- David Einhorn opened a new stake in ETF Market Vectors.