- Big Potato Games has created a nostalgia-inducing, movie-themed board game that features Blockbuster, the famous video-rental store that was popular throughout the ’90s.
- The game’s box resembles Blockbuster’s recognisable VHS cases and the board is made to look like the store’s parking lot.
- Gameplay is a combination of lightning-speed trivia and “charades with a twist,” according to the product’s description.
- The party game is currently available for $US19.99 at Target and the last remaining Blockbuster store that’s located in Bend, Oregon.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Although the days of strolling through a video-rental store and picking up movies on VHS (or even DVD) are long over, that doesn’t mean those days aren’t missed. To satisfy that ’90s sense of nostalgia, Blockbuster, the beloved video-rental store that once had thousands of stores globally, has lent its name to a new party game.
Even the packaging of the game will give you a bit of nostalgia. The box is designed to look like the rental chain’s familiar VHS cases and the board itself looks like a Blockbuster parking lot.
The game seems to be for a variety of audiences – it bills itself as ‘a movie game for anyone who has ever seen a movie’
Fortunately, you don’t need to be a film expert or former Blockbuster regular to play. A lot of the game involves naming films that fit certain categories like “Famous trilogies” or “Movies with zombies in them.”
The gameplay itself seems to involve two teams, lots of guessing and a bit of charades. After an initial “quick-fire buzzer battle,” players engage in a charades-style round where they can act out the movie, say a quote from it, or use a single word to get their teammates to guess it.
The objective of the game is for teams to collect a film card in each of the eight categories: action, classic, comedy, horror, sci-fi, drama, animation, and family.
The game retails for $US19.99 and you can find it at Target and the last real-life Blockbuster store
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.