Retail sales associates and cashiers are among the lowest paid workers in America.
A new study breaks down exactly how much those workers earn on an hourly basis at 29 of the top retailers in the US, based on data from the wage-tracking website Glassdoor.
According to the report, Dollar General, Foot Locker, and Kroger are among the lowest-paying retailers, while Nordstrom, Costco, and Tiffany & Co. pay the highest hourly rates. The report was conducted by investment advisory firm Cornerstone Capital Group.
Only the four top-paying retailers — Costco, Nordstrom, Whole Foods, and Tiffany & Co. — pay their cashiers and associates wages that are at or above the poverty level for a family of four as calculated by the US Department of Health and Human Services, the report states.
Here’s how the average hourly wages compare for each retailer featured in the study:
More from Hayley Peterson:
- A jobs threat worse than mass store closures could fire up to half the retail workforce
- Walmart just proved it’s immune to the retail apocalypse (WMT)
- A German grocery chain that’s a cross between Trader Joe’s and Harris Teeter is coming to the US — see if it’s coming to your hometown
- A German grocery chain with the power to cripple Aldi, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe’s is about to invade America
- Sears has a bigger problem than plunging sales (SHLD)
NOW WATCH: This smart watch has mechanical clock hands
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.