The 7-year-old Australian boy missing after the Barcelona terror attack has been confirmed dead

Julian Cadman. Source: Sarah Auzner/Facebook

Seven year-old Australian boy Julian Cadman was killed in the Barcelona terror attack.

His family and Spanish officials confirmed his death, with his family releasing a statement through the Australian government, mourning the loss of their “funny and cheeky” boy.

Cadman was with his mother on Las Ramblas when they became separated in the attack on Thursday, which injured more than 100 people, and killed 16.

His mother is still being treated for injuries sustained in incident.

The pair had been visiting Barcelona for a wedding when they were caught up in the attack.

Cadman, an Australian and British dual national, had been identified through DNA.

The Cadman family described the boy as “a much loved and adored member of our family”.

“As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us. He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces. We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts,” the family said.

“We would like to thank all those who helped us in searching for Julian. Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time. We also acknowledge we are not the only family to be affected by the events, our prayers and thoughts are with all people affected.

“We will not be making any further comments on this tragedy and ask everyone, especially the media, to give us the privacy we need to grieve away from the public eye.”

The Australian government will remain in close contact with the family to provide support and consular assistance.

According to Fairfax Media, Julian’s father Andrew Cadman had flown from Sydney to Barcelona on Friday night to find his missing son.

An hour before he arrived, Spanish police issued the statement saying all the victims and injured had been located.

After meeting with consular officials and local authorities, he visited his wife who has reportedly undergone leg surgery.

Three other Australians were injured in the attack. Two received treatment and were released, one other woman remains in “special care” and is being treated for serious injuries.