California-based company Lumos Labs has a website called Lumosity that has a series of over 40 activities to improve your brain, from memory and attention to problem solving and flexibility.
The site uses an IP address-based geolocator to find out which cities have the users who attain the best Lumosity test scores. This data was used to rank the 25 smartest cities in America.
The map below shows the distribution of the highest-scoring users, where blue shades represent the best scores.
Not surprisingly, college and university towns dominated the list, led by Charlottesville, Virginia, home of the University of Virginia.
There are large gaps in the country where there are no reported scores, so perhaps the list could use further development.
Here’s the complete list:
1. Charlottesville, Virginia
2. Lafayette, Indiana
3. Anchorage Alaska
4. Madison, Wisconsin
5. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
6. Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City & Dubuque, Iowa
8. Johnstown-Altoona, Pennsylvania
9. Champaign & Springfield-Decatur, Illinois
10. Minneapolis-St. Paul
11. Boston-Manchester (Massachusetts/New Hampshire)
13. Rochester, New York
14. Gainesville, Florida
15. Fargo-Valley City North Dakota
16. Lansing, Michigan
17. Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-San Luis Obispo
18. Burlington-Plattsburgh (Vermont/New York)
20. Syracuse, New York
21. Baton Rouge, Louisiana
22. Columbia-Jefferson City, Missouri
23. La Crosse-Eau Claire, Wisconsin
24. Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York Pennsylvania
25. Springfield-Holyoke, Massachusetts
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.