Alexa, the Amazon digital assistant launched in Australia, has more local knowledge than just language skills.
Many local companies have partnered with Amazon to give the Aussie Alexa ways to check bank accounts, see if a flight is on time, do job searches, get surf reports, and read out recipes for tonight’s meal.
Here is a list of some of the Australian third party services — called skills by Alexa — available for hands-free searches at launch.
- EnergyAustralia to manage electricity and gas accounts
- AGL for energy bill information
- hipages to find local qualified tradespeople
- LIFX smart home for lighting
- NextThere for public transport information
- Taste.com.au for more than 50,000 recipes
- Westpac for hands-free banking
- NAB for hands-free banking
- SEEK for job searches
- Optus for customer support
- Virgin Australia for flight information and status
- Qantas for flight information and loyalty program updates
- Domino’s Pizza for orders
- Uber for booking rides
- Coastalwatch for surf updates
- Telstra for smart home integrations such as lights, smart plugs, thermostat
- Dimmi for restaurant reservations
- Macquarie National News flash briefing for news, sport, and weather
- Village Entertainment for movie times and cinema updates
- REA Group flash briefing for property and real estate updates
- SBS News flash briefing for in-depth Australian and global news