The fashion retail industry employs more than 1.2 million people in the U.S., but most of the jobs are hourly and notoriously low-paid.
We reached out to Glassdoor to help us find the companies that paid the best hourly wages in the industry over the last year.
The data focuses on employees who work on the floor of stores that sell clothing and accessories — such as cashiers and salespeople — and excludes salary information for managers and supervisors.
Bloomingdale’s topped the list, with an average hourly salary of $US12.36. Of the 58 companies for which Glassdoor compiled salary data, Pacific Sunwear was at the bottom, at $US7.62 an hour. And Abercrombie & Fitch was second-to-last, with an average hourly wage of $US7.69.
10. Belk, Sales Associate, $US9.49 an hour
9. Zara, Sales Associate, $US9.66 an hour
8. Sephora, Cashier, $US9.68 an hour
Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images
7. Saks Fifth Avenue, Sales Associate, $US10.26 an hour
6. H&M Sales Associate, $US10.46 an hour
5. Dillard’s, Sales Associate, $US10.57 an hour
4. Talbots, Sales Associate, $US11.18 an hour
3. Neiman Marcus, Sales Associate, $US11.60 an hour
2. Nordstrom, Sales Associate, $US11.89 an hour
1. Bloomingdale’s, Sales Associate, $US12.36 an hour
Do you work at one of these companies? Tell us about it by emailing [email protected]
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.