Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Friday.
1. China’s special envoy arrives in North Korea on Friday. China says it’s a routine visit but US President Donald Trump said it is a “big move.”
2. The US and China now disagree on how to deal with North Korea. China said the best option is a “freeze-for-freeze” of action by North Korea and the US, but Trump said he and Chinese President Xi Jinping “agreed we would not accept” that option.
3. Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe has been spotted for the first time since military action began. Pictures show Mugabe smiling and shaking hands with the military chief who seized power this week, but no further details have been released.
4. UK’s Brexit Secretary says a no-deal Brexit is “incredibly unlikely.” Davis also said he expects the next stage of EU negotiations to begin before Christmas.
5. Russia vetoed the renewal of a UN inquiry into chemical weapons use in Syria. Russia has now vetoed 10 actions against its ally Syria.
6. Satellite images indicate North Korea is building a ballistic missile submarine. North Korea is also believed to be working on a solid-fuel missile for submarine launches.
7. Israel is willing to share intelligence with Saudi Arabia to confront Iran. Israel and Saudi Arabia do not have diplomatic relations, but both share concerns about the expansion of Iranian influence across the Middle East.
8. Saudi Arabia authorities offered detained businessmen and royal family members to pay for their freedom. More than 200 princes, ministers, senior military officers, and wealthy businessmen have been detained during the Crown Prince’s anti-corruption purge.
9. Cambodia has banned the country’s opposition party. The Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) was dissolved by the Supreme Court on Thursday at the government’s request.
10. Chile is heading to the polls on Sunday to vote for its next President. Former President Sebastian Pinera will need to win more than 50% of the vote to avoid a run-off vote in December.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.