Hello! Here’s what you need to know on Monday.
1. South Korea has proposed rare military talks with North Korea. If they were to go ahead, they would be the first high-level talks since 2015.
2. Brexit secretary David Davis will launch a first round of negotiations on Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union on Monday. He will meet with the EU’s Michel Barnier, for four days of talks between the two teams in Brussels.
3. Brexit is now directly damaging business investment in Britain. A survey from the Confederation of British Industry found that over 40% of businesses said Brexit has affected their investment decisions. Of those, 98% said the impact has been negative.
4. People who carry out acid attacks in England and Wales could face longer jail terms as part of a “wide-ranging” review. The calls to tighten laws come after a 16-year-old boy was arrested in connection with five acid attacks in London on Thursday.
5. Italy has postponed hotly-contested immigrant citizenship laws. If passed they would grant citizenship to the children of immigrants.
6. Donald Trump’s lawyer let something slip about the Russia meeting that raises questions about whether the US president was present at the meeting, which Trump claimed to have learned about only last week.
7. The West and Russia are battling for control of the transport of natural gas through the Balkans, as both sides pursue their geopolitical agenda in the volatile region.
8. The Australian woman shot dead by police in Minneapolis was a meditation teacher who hated guns. Justine Ruszczyk, 40, was shot on Saturday night by the police responding to her call about a possible assault. She had been in the States for three years and was planning to wed next month.
9. Roger Federer won Wimbledon for a record 8th time. The Swiss beat Croatia’s Marin Cilic in the Wimbledon men’s final on Sunday, 3-6, 1-6, 4-6. At 35, it makes him makes the oldest man to win Wimbledon in the Open era.
10. Doctor Who is coming back as a woman. The BBC announced overnight that Jodie Whittaker will replace Peter Capaldi.
You can get 10 things straight to your inbox each afternoon by entering your details in the form below.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.