Hello! Here’s what you need to know on Thursday.
1. US president Donald Trump has reached a deal with top US Democrats to protect certain, unauthorised immigrants as part of a broader border security agreement. The deal does not include funding for a wall along the US-Mexico border, something Trump campaigned fervently on during last year’s election.
2. Hillary Clinton thinks that the Russian influence in 2016 US presidential election is “probably bigger than Watergate”. And regardless of the election’s outcome, Clinton said she’s worried for the future of the US because “the Russians are still going at us”.
3. Facebook and Twitter are becoming a “red-hot” focus of Mueller’s Russia investigation. The news comes one week after Facebook shut down roughly 470 “inauthentic” accounts and pages that “were affiliated with one another and likely operated out of Russia.”
4. One person is dead and three are injured after a gunman opens fire at a US high school in Washington State. The injured were taken to hospital and the shooter was taken into custody.
5. A public inquiry into the Grenfell Tower fire is set to officially open. It will examine the cause and spread of the fire — which killed at least 80 people — high-rise regulations, and the actions of the local authority.
6. Wealthy Chinese families are seeing Brexit as a “good buying opportunity” and have increased their overseas investments in European properties and technology stocks in the US, according to research by UBS and Campden.
7. Spain’s public prosecutor has summoned more than 700 Catalan mayorsfor questioning over their support for a banned independence referendum and has threatened they could be arrested if they fail to appear. Catalonia’s vote on breaking away from Spain is deemed illegal and has been suspended by the constitutional court.
8. Paris and Los Angeles have been named as hosts of the 2024 and 2028 summer Olympic Games. Both cities had wanted to host the 2024 event, before LA agreed to wait an extra four years after the International Olympic Committee made guarantees on funding.
9. Russia just deployed its upgraded MiG-29 to Syria for the first time. The MiG-29SMT is an improved variant of the MiG-29, and with a maximum range of 1,800 km, it can carry guided air-to-surface weapons.
10. Japan now has two hotels run almost entirely by robots. The Hen’na Hotels — in Nagasaki and Tokyo — are owned by low-cost travel agency H.I.S. Co. The company has plans to expand to 100 more locations.
You can get 10 things straight to your inbox each afternoon by entering your details in the form below.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.