Hello! Here’s what you need to know on Thursday.
1. Apple unveiled the hotly-anticipated iPhone 7 at its annual event in San Francisco. The company also announced its new wireless earphones, and the Apple Watch 2.
3. The Paralympic Games opened with a colourful ceremony in Rio last night. More than 4,000 athletes took part in the event.
4. Formula One is being bought by US firm Liberty Media in a $4.4 billion deal. Long-standing CEO Bernie Ecclestone will remain in his position but will work under a new chairman.
5. More North Koreans are fleeing the isolated nation than ever before, according to a survey from the Korean Unification Ministry.
6. A British MP has hit out at a “racist” Air China magazine. The in-flight publication warned passengers to take extra precaution in “areas mainly populated by Indians, Pakistanis and black people.”
7. Ryan Lochte and three other US swimmers have been handed a 10-month ban by the US Olympic Committee. Lochte admitted to “over-exaggerating” a story of him being robbed at gunpoint after a night out in Rio.
8. Andy Murray fell apart in the US Open after a bizarre ‘gong’ sound interrupted play. Murray had control of the game up until the incident but eventually lost to Kei Nishikori.
9. The fight to unseat Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe — Africa’s longest ruling dictator — is heating up. Mugabe has declared “enough is enough” of the growing protests that reflect nationwide anger over a plummeting economy and alleged state corruption.
10. Nintendo shares rocketed up over 28% after announcing Mario is coming to the iPhone. The market has long awaited Nintendo’s entrance into smartphone gaming, as sales of the company’s own console hardware have sagged.
And finally …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.