Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Thursday.
1.A senior member of the Trump administration says they are part of a secret resistance working against the president in the White House. Trump furiously fought back, and suggested the New York Times op-ed amounted to “treason”.
2. The UK has accused two alleged Russian intelligence officers of trying to murder a spy in England with a nerve agent. UK Prime Minister Theresa May said the attack authorization was “almost certainly” from senior Russian officials.
3. US senators introduced legislation to punish allies who shift their allegiance away from Taiwan. The move comes after El Salvador became the third country this year to move toward Beijing.
4. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un says he wants to denuclearize the Korean peninsula while President Trump is in office.Kim told South Korean officials that his faith in Trump is “unchanged.”
5. Two dead, over 100 injured after a powerful 6.7 earthquake hit Japan’s northern island of Hokkaido. The prefecture’s main power plant was damaged, causing widespread power outages.
6. Mayors in the Philippines are getting assassinated under mysterious circumstances. 11 mayors and six vice mayors have been killed since President Duterte unleashed his war on drugs.
7. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey got grilled by Congress over election interference and allegations of anti-conservative bias.The tech executive has insisted his company is not deliberately discriminating against right-wingers.
8. India’s top court decriminalized same-sex relations.The ruling overturned 150 years of anti-LGBT legislation.
9. Nike released its commercial starring Colin Kaepernick amid boycott threats. Kaepernick, the first NFL player to kneel during the national anthem in protest, was accused of “disrespecting” the US flag and military. The inspirational ad has turned into a political row.
10. Gwyneth Paltrow’s beauty and wellness company Goop will pay $US145,000 in civil penalties for lying to customers. Prosecutors alleged that the company’s false advertising about “vaginal eggs” was “not supported” by science.
And finally …
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.