1. At a rally in Los Vegas, President Donald Trump again backed his Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh as one of the “finest human beings you will ever have the privilege of knowing”. But he didn’t mention the psychology professor who says she was assaulted by Kavanaugh when they were both in high school.
2. Adobe is buying Marketo for $US4.75 billion. Marketo, a privately held marketing automation company, was bought by private equity firm Vista Equity Partners for $1.8 billion just two years ago.
3. Uber could be getting ready to buy Deliveroo, a food-delivery startup valued at over $2 billion. Deliveroo is one of the biggest international rivals to Uber Eats, the ride-hailing giant’s own food delivery app.
4. Amazon held a special event to unveil a slew of new gadgets and services, including a new Echo Dot, Echo Plus and Echo Show. The event featured the largest number of devices and features that Amazon has announced in a single day.
5. Goldman Sachs’ equities chief Paul Russo is leaving the bank as incoming CEO David Solomon looks to put his own leadership team at the top of the Wall Street firm. Russo, who has worked at Goldman his entire career, exits as the firm’s equities division has lagged peers and the bank has given up market share to rival firms such as Morgan Stanley.
6. China’s decision to stop importing recyclable waste is tightening environmental regulations across the world. If the global trend continues, coming soon will be bans, with proposals in the UK currently spreading to Europe, on plastic cutlery, straws and cotton buds/swabs, as well as one-use plastic bags.
7. Scientists have been giving a lonely octopus MDMA to see if it became more sociable — and it worked. Gul Dolen of Johns Hopkins University chose to give Octopus bimaculoides a dose of ecstasy not because it would be fun, but because it’s possible to breed and study their behavior in the lab.
8. If the glaciers holding back ice sheets in Antarctica and Greenland were to collapse, sea level rise rates around the globe would skyrocket. To prevent this, scientists are proposing a new kind of geoengineering plan — the biggest civil engineering project in human history — to prop up the ice sheets with mounds or walls underneath.
9. A group of canoeists are suing President Donald Trump and his administration for his frequent golf course visits shutting down the Potomac River. The Canoe Cruisers Association of Greater Washington filed a lawsuit accusing the administration of failing to notify residents and surrounding businesses of a policy that prevented them from using part of the river.
10. A London-based betting startup Smarkets lets employees pick how much they want to get paid. The system works through social consensus, with each employees’ salary information published within the company’s internal wiki.
And finally …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.