Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Monday.
1. Hurricane Florence continues ravaging the Carolinas as the death toll climbs, rivers overflow, and tornadoes threaten to strike. The storm has killed a reported 17 people so far, and officials expect the death toll to rise.
2. Typhoon Mangkhut has bashed the Philippines and coastal China. It was the most powerful typhoon to hit Hong Kong in decades, and the scenes were apocalyptic.
3. A woman has come forward accusing US Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault. Research psychologist Christine Blasey Ford told the Washington Post that Kavanaugh assaulted her at a party when she was 15.
4. London Mayor Sadiq Khan is calling for a second referendum on Brexit. Khan blamed the government’s handling of the negotiations and said the threat to living standards, the economy, and jobs was too great for voters not to have a say.
5. China may reject new trade talks if the US imposes $US200 billion of new China tariffs. Washington is expected to announce new tariffs of Chinese imports this week.
6. Russia reportedly warned Defence Secretary Jim Mattis of its willingness to use nuclear weapons under certain conditions. According to “Fear,” Bob Woodward’s recently released book, Moscow’s warning was in regard to a potential conflict in the Baltic countries of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.
7. Police closed roads and called a hazardous response team after two people became ill at a restaurant in Salisbury, England. The precaution was taken after ex-spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter, along with two others, were poisoned by a Russian nerve agent there.
8. Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff and his wife are buying Time Magazine for $US190 million. The announcement comes just eight months after Meredith Corp., publisher of several popular print publications, completed its purchase of Time.
9. Some Amazon employees are reportedly accepting cash bribes from online sellers to delete negative product reviews.The practice, which is especially common in China, has reportedly launched an internal investigation within the company.
10. A volcano in Iceland may be preparing to erupt.Katla, a giant volcano hidden beneath the ice caps of the Mýrdalsjökull glacier, is long overdue for an eruption and may be filling its magma chambers, according to new research.
And finally …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.