Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Friday.
1.Hurricane Florence was downgraded to a Category 1 storm as it hit the coast of the Carolinas with winds topping 90 mph. More than 150,000 homes in North Carolina are without electricity.
2. The US has accused Russia of hiding sanction breaches against North Korea. The US also imposed new sanctions on Russian and Chinese entities suspected of funding the regime in breach of its existing sanctions.
3. Bank of England governor Mark Carney has extended his term to steer Britain through Brexit. Carney was previously set to leave his role in June 2019 but has been persuaded to stay on.
4. North and South Korea opened their first liaison to maintain direct communication. The office at the North Korean border town of Kaesong is the latest in a series of reconciliatory steps this year.
5. US President Donald Trump says Washington is under “no pressure” to achieve a trade deal with China. The comments come amid reports the two sides could resume talks to head off a third round of US tariffs.
6. Paul Manafort, former chairman of Trump’s presidential campaign, may be close to a plea deal with special counsel Robert Mueller. Manafort has been convicted of eight counts related to tax and bank fraud.
7. Evacuations have been ordered as Super Typhoon Manghut hurls itself towards millions of people in Asia.Meteorologists say the typhoon is equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane, and boasts winds up to 290 kph (180 mph).
8. Towns near Boston were shaken by dozens of explosions, apparently triggered by a natural gas pipeline rupture. At least one person is dead and two have been injured.
9. Google cofounder Larry Page has faded from public view. He is taking less and less interest in Google’s day-to-day and is spending more time on his secluded private Caribbean island.
10. The FBI mysteriously shut a space observatory near Roswell, New Mexico.The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, which runs the observatory, would say was that there was “a security incident.”
And finally …
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.