Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Thursday.
1. US President Donald Trump’s campaign manager called Google a “threat to the republic” after a video surfaced of them lamenting Trump’s election victory. Trump previously attacked Google for “rigging” its search results against him.
3. A car ramming attack in China left eleven dead and dozens injured. The suspect in the attack reportedly wanted “revenge on society.”
4. Hurricane Florence, weakened to a Category 2 storm on its way to the shores of the Carolinas. The National Hurricane Center warned that a “life-threatening storm surge and rainfall” is expected to arrive within hours.
5. China’s largest ride-hailing company is now recording in-car audio during passenger trips.The new “safety measure” has brought attention to China’s widespread surveillance of its citizens.
6. A member of Russian protest group Pussy Riot has been hospitalized for a potential poisoning.Russian media reports Pyotr Verzilov, who is married to band member Nadya Tolokonnikova, is in emergency care and his symptoms included losing his eyesight and ability to speak.
7. Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi said two jailed Reuters journalists can appeal their sentences. The two men were arrested while reporting on the country’s crackdown on Rohingya Muslims.
8. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan appointed himself chairman of the country’s sovereign wealth fund. He also purged the entire management and appointed his son-in-law to the board.
9. Australian politicians have attacked a 9-year-old girl for sitting during the country’s national anthem. The Queensland girl refused to stand up during national anthem in support for the country’s Indigenous peoples.
10. The UN secretary general said the world has less than two years to avoid “runaway climate change.“ He said the world needed to shift its dependence away from fossil fuels, and that “far too many leaders have refused to listen” to calls made for change.
And finally …
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.