Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Monday.
1. Former White House staffer Omarosa Manigault-Newman reportedly taped “nearly every conversation” during her tenure.She has claimed to have a “treasure trove” of videos, emails, and text messages from her time in the West Wing.
2. UK Prime Minister Theresa May threw cold water on the idea of a second Brexit referendum. May said it would be a “gross betrayal” of democracy and trust.
3. Scientists say “sonic attacks” on US embassies may have been caused by Cold-War era microwave weapons. New research says microwave signals may have caused brain injuries to US nationals in embassies in Cuba and China.
4. Two Reuters journalists have been sentenced to seven years in prison in Myanmar. The men have been charged with illegal possession of official documents, and were arrested while reporting on Rohingya Muslims.
5. A senior Saudi official seemed to confirm the Kingdom is moving forward with plans to turn Qatar into an island.Rumours have swirled for months around plans to dig a canal along the 38-mile Saudi-Qatar border.
6. One of Apple’s secretive self-driving cars got in a crash for the first time. The car was rear-ended while waiting for a safe gap to merge onto a California freeway just 3.5 miles from the Apple headquarters.
7. Brexit might sway Scotland to vote towards Independence.Scotland voted against independence in 2014, but the impending leave from the EU has reignited debate, according to a new poll.
8. A massive fire ripped through Brazil’s 200-year old National Museum, likely destroying millions of rare artifacts.There was no word of the possible cause nor if there were casualties or the exact extent of damage.
9. One person was killed and 15 more were injured in a cafe bombing in the Philippines. It is the second attack in the last few days blamed by the military on pro-Islamic State militants.
10. The US Air Force is asking for hypersonic weapon ideas.The call comes amid an escalating arms race with China and Russia, both of whom have been actively testing new hypersonic systems.
And finally …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.