Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Wednesday.
1. US President Donald Trump reportedly engaged in “outright fraud” to avoid taxes as he inherited father’s wealth. The New York Times released an extensive investigation focused on Trump’s fortune.
2. Australia warned China against “intimidation” in the South China Sea after a tense standoff with a US destroyer.Australia’s Defence Minister said it views any intimidation tactics in the disputed region as “destabilizing and potentially dangerous.”
3. Mail delivered to the Pentagon has reportedly tested positive for ricin, a potentially deadly poison. The packages were reportedly addressed to Secretary of Defence James Mattis and Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral John Richardson.
4. Facebook says it hasn’t seen any evidence that hackers used stolen information to access users’ Tinder, Spotify, or Instagram accounts. Facebook revealed last week it had been targeted in a massive breach that gave hackers access to tens of millions of users’ accounts.
5. President Trump dropped 138 spots on Forbes’ wealthiest Americans list. Trump has lost roughly $US1.4 billion in net worth since announcing his presidential campaign in 2015.
6. Saudi Arabia reportedly intercepted two explosives-filled boats targeting a major port by Houthi militants. The boats were reportedly remotely controlled and were subsequently destroyed.
7. Iraq has elected moderate Kurdish politician Barham Salih as the country’s new president. Salih was selected after indecision by the two main Kurdish parties delayed the vote.
8. Fan Bingbing, one of China’s top movie stars, was fines $US129 million following a months-long tax evasion probe. She had vanished from the public eye without explanation in July, and Chinese state media said she was “under control.“
9. A Syrian asylum-seeker who was stranded in a Malaysian airport for six months has been arrested. Hassan al-Kontar had been stranded at Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 since March 7 and was documenting his daily struggles on Twitter.
10. Apple hit a record high of $US320 per share. The rally follows the announcement of the new iPhone XS and Apple Watch 4 last month.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.