Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Monday.
1. The US and Canada came to an agreement to tweak key pieces of the North American Free Trade Agreement. The US-Canada deal follows a separate agreement between the US and Mexico, which was reached in August.
2. US President Donald Trump said he and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un “fell in love” through “beautiful letters.” Trump lauded his recently improved relationship with Kim during a West Virginia rally.
3. Brexit is already reportedly costing Britain £500 million ($US651.6 million) a week. New research suggests the UK economy is already 2.5% smaller than it would have been had Britain voted to remain in the EU.
4. North and South Korea began to disarm their border.Seoul and Pyongyang started removing all the land mines from the Joint Security Area located along the Demilitarized Zone.
5. More than 830 people died after an earthquake and tsunami hit Indonesia. Authorities are bracing for the death toll in Palu to climb as connections with outlying areas are restored.
6. Facebook could be fined up to $US1.63 billion for a massive breach which may have violated EU privacy laws.On Friday, the tech firm revealed it detected a security breach which compromised the personal data of around 50 million Facebook users.
7. A powerful typhoon is ripping through Japan, and has led to dozens of injuries and mass destruction. Typhoon Trami has been categorized as “strong” and has killed at least two.
8. Tesla CEO Elon Musk told his staff that Tesla is “very close to achieving profitability.”Tesla has had only two profitable quarters in its history.
9. Macedonia’s vote to change its name failed to reach the threshold needed. In June, Macedonia’s government agreed to change its name and end its 27-year beef with Greece, but needed 50% of the vote in a referendum to do so.
10. The fruit we eat has been genetically modified to be so sweet, zoos have stopped feeding it to its animals.Melbourne Zoo had to wean its animals off certain fruits because modern fruits are higher in sugar than ever before.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.