Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Wednesday.
1. It’s the Midterms 2018 and it’s happening LIVE:Democrats were projected to take control of the House of Representatives, and Republicans are projected to hold onto their majority control of the US Senate in the new year.
2. Former US Treasury secretary Hank Paulson warned of an “economic iron curtain” if the US and China can’t find a way to get along. A growing majority at home now see China not just as a strategic challenge to US interests but as a country whose rise has come at America’s expense.
3. China says it has new surveillance camera technology that can recognise you just from how you walk.“Gait recognition” technology has reportedly already been rolled out and is an improvement over facial recognition.
5. French police have reportedly arrested six over a plot to attack President Emmanuel Macron. This is just days after he likened Europe’s extreme right to Nazis.
6. More than 200 mass graves containing thousands of bodies have been found in areas of Iraq previously under ISIS control, according to the UN. The deaths occurred due to systemic violence which may amount to war crimes and genocide, the UN has said.
7. Some Saudis are calling for a boycott of Amazon to hit back at Jeff Bezos in response to The Washington Post’s coverage of Jamal Khashoggi’s murder. Bezos owns the Washington Post, where murdered Khashoggi was previously a columnist.
8. Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff asked Elon Musk if his Boring Company could come to San Francisco and dig some tunnels.Musk nonchalantly agreed to Benioff’s request.
9. US President Donald Trump rushed more than 5,000 troops to the border to lay razor wire. The wire was laid in preparation for the arrival of migrant caravans consisting of potentially thousands of people from across Latin America.
10. Overwhelmed passengers abandoned an Indonesian flight crammed with two tons of a notoriously smelly tropical fruit. Passengers refused to share the flight to Jakarta with some two tons of durian squeezed into the cargo hold.
One ticket, two days, 50+ insightful speakers, and 600+ executives. Business Insider’s flagship IGNITION conference headliners include Mark Cuban, Janice Min, Sir Martin Sorrell and Barbara Corcoran. Join us for IGNITION, December 3-4, New York City.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.