Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Monday.
1. Bali’s Denpasar Airport was closed on Monday after a massive volcano erupted. Flights were cancelled following Mt Agung’s multiple eruptions on the weekend causing an ash cloud to reach the airport.
2. Ireland may block Brexit trade talks if border issues aren’t resolved. The Irish government wants guarantees there will be no hard border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland after the UK leaves the EU.
3. The FBI failed to notify US officials they were being targeted by Russian hackers. The FBI took more than a year to act on evidence a cyber-espionage group allied with the Kremlin tried to breach officials’ personal Gmail accounts.
4. South Korea is broadcasting news of a North Korean soldier’s defection into North Korea. Last week, a soldier was shot five times as he defected from North Korea to South Korea.
5. Police released two men without charge over the terror scare at the UK’s Oxford Circus. Police believe the incident occurred on Friday after two men began fighting on a London Underground station platform.
6. The UN is preparing to publish a ‘blacklist’ of companies that operate in West Bank settlements. Both Israel and the US are trying to prevent publication of the list, which is expected to include dozens of Israeli and multinational companies.
7. Mexico is looking into Uber’s data breach that affected 57 million users. Uber reportedly paid hackers $US100,000 to cover up a 2016 cyberattack.
8. Russia’s Chechnya leader said he is ready to resign.In Ramzan Kadyrov’s unexpected statement, he said Kremlin will need to pick his successor.
9. An explosion in one of China’s busiest ports killed two and injured 30. Firefighters are still investigating the cause of the explosion, which occurred south of Shanghai.
10. Twitter says its being blocked by Pakistan’s government.There have also been scattered reports that Facebook and other social media sites have been blocked, but the Pakistani government has yet to comment.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.