Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Thursday.
1. Terrorism charges were filed against the New York truck attacker that killed eight and injured 11. The man said he carried out the attack in the name of ISIS.
2. The UK’s Defence Secretary has resigned. Michael Fallon admitted to inappropriate behaviour towards a journalist in a sexual harassment scandal engulfing Westminster.
3. The CIA released hundreds of thousands of Osama bin Laden documents from 2011. The documents were seized in the raid on his Pakistan compound and include his computer hard drive and 228-page journal.
4. Three people were killed in a shooting at a Walmart in Colorado. Police are still searching for the suspect, but do not consider it an “active shooter” situation.
5. All border crossings in the Gaza strip are now run by the Palestinian Authority. Hamas handed over control as the two groups try to improve their relations.
6. The US is quietly pursuing direct diplomacy with North Korea. A US negotiator has been in contact with diplomats at Pyongyang’s United Nation’s mission, although there are no signs that relations have improved.
7. Myanmar’s de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi visited the Rakhine region for the first time since violence broke out. More than 600,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled the region after what the UN termed “textbook ethnic cleansing”.
8. Niger has asked the US to begin using armed drones on local jihadist groups along the Mali border. The request comes after militants killed four US soldiers and at least four Nigerian soldiers in an ambush earlier last month.
9. Iran’s Supreme Leader met with Vladimir Putin and said the two countries should work together to isolate the US. The leaders met to enhance relations after US President Donald Trump recently threatened to abandon the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran.
10. Trump is expected to appoint Jerome Powell as the next Federal Reserve chair today. Powell, a former private equity executive, is set to replace Democratic incumbent Janet Yellen.
And finally …
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.