Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Tuesday.
1. A US appeals court allowed US President Donald Trump’s travel ban to take partial effect. The ruling will prevent travel for people from Syria, Iran, Libya, Yemen, Somalia, and Chad who do not have a “bona fide” relationship with someone in the US.
2. The EU agreed to create a mega-army of combined defence forces. 23 European countries, including France and Germany, have agreed to the defence deal and will sign an agreement in December to make it legally binding.
3. Brexit Secretary David Davis announced UK MPs will have the right to vote down any final Brexit deal. This means MPs will vote to leave the EU with the deal Davis negotiated, or leave with no deal at all.
4. Vietnam and China have agreed to maintain “peace and stability” in the disputed South China Sea. China and Vietnam hold competing claims to the waterways, as do Taiwan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, and Brunei.
5. North Korea complained to the UN after the US conducted joint military drills with South Korea. After the drills, the North Korean ambassador to the UN said the US “was running amok” and has created “the worst situation ever.”
6. Donald Trump Jr. was in touch with WikiLeaks during the 2016 US election. The group asked Trump Jr. to push its content and ask Australia to appoint Julian Assange its ambassador to the US.
8. Four US soldiers were wounded after an IED attack in Afghanistan. The soldiers are in a stable condition and the Taliban claimed responsibility for this and other attacks on Monday.
9. Iran ended its rescue operations for survivors of its recent 7.3-magnitude earthquake. State television said 450 people died and thousands were left huddling in makeshift camps for fear of aftershocks.
10. Poland’s President condemned Saturday’s “sick nationalist” march, which drew over 60,000 protesters. Earlier, the Polish foreign ministry insisted that the protest was “great celebration of Poles” united around “loyalty to an independant homeland.”
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.