Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Thursday.
1. Rudy Giuliani said US President Donald Trump repaid former attorney Michael Cohen for a $US130,000 payment to adult film star Stormy Daniels. Giuliani is the president’s new lawyer, and his admission already spells trouble for Trump.
2. The UN is urging Trump not to walk away from the Iran nuclear deal. UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said there was a real risk of war if the 2015 agreement was not maintained.
3. US officials might be eyeing Singapore for the upcoming summit with North Korea. Singapore maintains diplomatic relations with both the US and North Korea, and has been used as a neutral meeting place for other important Asian summits.
4. Australia’s largest bank Commonwealth revealed it lost 20 million user accounts. An executive said it had lost two tapes containing 15 years of data including customer names, addresses, and account numbers.
5. The Pentagon stopped selling Chinese mobile phones on its military bases. The US has recently taken action at reducing access by Huawei and ZTE to the US economy.
6. Cambridge Analytica, the data firm at the center of Facebook’s data privacy scandal, is shutting down.The firm has been losing clients and facing mounting legal fees following its massive data leaking scandal with Facebook.
7. Zimbabwe’s opposition leader pledged to rid the country of Chinese investment. China is Zimbabwe’s largest source of investment, pouring billions into the African nation in the last decade.
8. Tesla reported a smaller loss than analysts expected in the first quarter. CEO Elon Musk said the company will begin to restructure in an effort to increase profitability.
9. 10 people were injured after a bonfire explodes at Jewish holiday festival in the UK. Multiple sources reported people threw cell phones into the fire.
10. Stephen Hawking’s final research was just published, and it could help us find evidence for parallel universes. The late physicist submitted his final paper 10 days before his death.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.