Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Wednesday.
1. Renowned scientist Stephen Hawking died at the age of 76. Hawking, one of the most influential scientists of the modern era, died peacefully at his home in Cambridge, England.
2. Rex Tillerson was fired as US Secretary of State. President Donald Trump said he and Tillerson disagreed on policy issues like the Iran deal, while officials said Tillerson was fired over his stance on North Korea.
3. Russia has ignored the UK deadline to explain itself in the poisoning of ex-spy Sergei Skripal. The UK said it was “highly likely” Russia was behind the assassination attempt, and may expel Russian diplomats and consider sanctions as punitive action.
4. A Democratic candidate may win a crucial US special election. Democrats look as if they will be challenging the landscape for GOP House and Senate candidates in the 2018 midterm elections.
5. Trump wants new tariffs and trade restrictions on China. The move would likely spark a swift reaction from China and possibly prompt a trade war.
6. Elon Musk is working on a comedy project. Musk said it was “obvious” that “comedy is the next frontier after electric vehicles, space exploration, and brain-computer interface.”
7. Apple may soon be the first company to reach a $US1 trillion valuation. Earlier this week Apple executive Eddy Cue said the company isn’t planning any major acquisitions.
8. Suspicious packages have been sent to the UK Parliament addressed to Muslim members. Two people were hospitalized as a precaution before the items were deemed not to be hazardous.
9. Singapore-based Broadcom reportedly ended its $US117 billion dollar bid for Qualcomm. Trump had blocked the deal on grounds that the deal may “impair the national security of the United States.”
10. Sierra Leone became the first country in the world to let its citizens vote using blockchain. The election could pave the way for blockchain technology to shape elections around the world.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.